Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Happy Birthday Daddy!

My father, Donn Deedon, was a great man. I can't believe its been almost 2 years since he died. Nowadays, this time of year leaves me with mixed feelings. I love Christmas. I love my dad. Those 2 things always went hand in hand. My dad's birthday was on the 24Th of December. Christmas eve.

Christmas always makes me happy, its my favorite time of year. My dad not being able to be here to celebrate another birthday and Christmas, makes me sad. I know he's in a better place and is pain free now, but I still want my Daddy!

My dad will forever live on in the words of his poetry. He was known best for his magnificent voice and the way he could pull you into his poetry. He was known for the Fedora he always wore.If you look out into the crowd and saw a tall man wearing a Fedora, it must be Donn!

My dad with his favorite brother, Uncle Glenn.

Some of these pictures, are bad I know. They were cropped from a photo of a collage of pictures that was at his Memorial service. These are the only pictures I have of him.. If I have any others I don't know where they are..

This was painted for my dad, by a friend of his, back in L.A. I wish I could remember the artist's name. It now hangs above my fireplace. I'm not sure how, but it depicts my dad very well. Its hard to explain, but if you'd known him you would look at it and see my dad. He had a love of butterfly's. The chain he is wearing in most of these pictures, has a butterfly on it. He never took it off.

Happy Birthday Daddy! I love you!

4 comments:

Lori said...

That was beautiful, you brought tears to my eyes♥
Thank you for sharing your father with us :)

Lisa Pogue said...

Wow, what a bittersweet time. The anniversary of your dad's death AND Christmas. My goodness. You never know what people go through. I lost my dad 2 years ago in July. The first Christmas was a blur. Last year I really missed him. I think the first year I worked so hard to help get mom through everything so she wouldn't have to struggle, then I struggle later. This made me a little teary too. Daddy's will always be daddy's and they are always missed terribly. God Bless you my friend.

PS, The painting is very intriguing. There are a lot of elements I know I can't even see on my monitor. That's the cool thing about it. Your dad had lots of elements that made him who is he was. Be blessed with wonderful memories.

Shauna said...

Sweet! Hope you have a blessed and very Merry Christmas! ♥ Hugs :) Shauna

Gayla said...

I so understand. Big hugs from another one of blogland's readers who misses her daddy this Christmas,... and every day, too. They will always be with us. Hugs... Gayla