Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I'ts Beginning to Look

A lot like Christmas, and Thanksgiving hasn't even happened yet! I was out looking at clearance fall/thanksgiving decorations at hobby lobby and found that radio stations are already playing Christmas music along with all the stores, not to mention all the Christmas decorations already up and on sale. Now don't get me wrong, I love Christmas music and decorations. Boy do I love Christmas decorations, but I'm a firm believer in you don't put up anything christmasy till the day after Thanksgiving.
Am I wrong here? What happened to Thanksgiving? It seems like each year, the time between Halloween, and Christmas, the time dedicated to Thanksgiving, is getting shorter and shorter. As a kid I have fond memories of this time of year, going to my grandparents for thanksgiving dinner, stealing black olives and wearing them on my fingers, spending time with my family. I want my kids to have the same memories I have, the same family togetherness I had, and I'm worried that with the way our society is changing, they are not going to get that experience. I love the family traditions I experienced as a kid, and hope to someday pass those along to my kids. In a future post I will share a Christmas tradition, I grew up with.

1 comment:

Mer said...

I totally did that black olive thing! Now my fingers are too fat. ;)

Thanks for stopping by my blog!