Friday, November 20, 2009

Alternative Plans

Its been well over a year since my husband and I have been trying to conceive. We almost succeeded once, we didn't know it though. I thought I had posted the story, but I guess not..
So, here it is:
In June 2008 we took a trip to see my family in Oregon. The day before we left, I had some severe stomach pains. Didn't really think much about it, I was2 or 3 days off my period, so I just thought the pains were related to that. Took a hot bath and they went away.
We spent 7 wonderful days catching up with family and friends and enjoying ourselves on the coast. We even took a trip to the Tillamook Cheese Factory. Yum Yum!
The day before we were to fly home, I started to get severe stomach pains again. I got into my mom's hot tub, thinking the warm water would help with the pain like last time. It only got worse. I finally got out of the hot tub once I was all pruny and wrinkly. After getting out I dang near passed out from standing up. My mom suggested we go to the hospital, I was in so much pain I was crying and that's when my husband decided I really needed to go to the E.R.
Once there, we discover that I am pregnant. We weren't even trying. Had not even talked about the possibility of having kids yet.. So, Yay, right? Not really. You apparently should not be in that much pain whilst pregnant..
Turns out I was trying to grow a baby on my right ovary. I had what the doctor called a right ovarian ectopic pregnancy. I am one in a million women who get this.. After surgery and a week in the hospital, I got discharged and got to go home.
Since then we decided to try and have a baby. Its been a year and 3 months. Still no baby, but everyone around me is having one!
So at this point I am thinking about adoption. Does anyone out there have any experience with adoption? Any advice? Any advice on trying to concieve a baby on our own?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My thoughts: You only ovulate once a month. So you've only had 15 chances to get pregnant in that past year and three months. Were you using an ovulation reader? Because otherwise the odds of you guys getting the timing right is actually very slim. Don't put so much pressure on yourself. I would wait 'til three years before looking into adoption, honestly. My husband and I used virtually no birth control for three years (as we were irresponsible young people!) and it took that long before our little accidental munchkin came along. Really, it's a wonder I didn't get pregnant sooner though. We were VERY irresponsible! Haha. So, yeah, I would wait it out some more.

I know two friends personally who have had ectopic pregnancies and my mother has had one as well. I thought they weren't so uncommon. Hmm.

Becca Watson said...

Yes, I have used ovulation prediction kits and tracked everything and whatnot. I know it will happen whenthe im is right, it just get frustrating when everyone around me has kids, or is pregnant..

Ectopic pegnancies are common, its the right ovarian ectopic pregnancy that in uncommon.

Thanks for your advice. =)

Sandy said...

Hi Becca,

I have had a couple of friends who have been trying for so long and still have been unlucky.

I kind of see it as when it happens it will. For my first we said lets just try and if it takes then it was meant to be. Well the following month, I knew I was pregnant. But for my second, it took us a year and a half before I finally got pregnant. We were just trying so hard and wanted it so bad that I truly believe is why it took so long. From what I have seen in the past, take it as it goes and normally it works out.

I wish you the best of luck! But if you descide to adopt that is also a great thing. There are so mnay children that need wonderful, loving and caring homes.

I have been following Tammy on this blog http://countrygirlathome.blogspot.com, she is in the process of adopting a little boy from China. I thought she may be a person who you could speak with also.

Sandy

DiPaola Momma said...

HEY BECCA.. You're there.. I SUCK I know it's been FOREVER since I stopped by.. no excuses! So here is the thing.. from ME.. Fertile Turtle mom of four.. get LOTS of calcium and folic acid! I'll send my baby makin' vibes your way. The two of you will make AMAZING parents! What with the way you back how could you NOT?!

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

I thought I'd responded to this already. Hmm. My advice to you is to just relax. Have lots of sex and don't worry so much about when/if it'll happen. A friend of mine went for IVF and in the 6 months wait before it could start, they concieved their first child. It can happen, you just need to put less pressure on yourselves.